Everything You Need to Know About Access Control Systems
Being able to monitor or restrict who is entering and exiting company premises, or who is going into particular parts of a commercial building, can be a vital consideration for many businesses. You want something that is effective but that is also straightforward to operate – you don’t want to be allocating too much of your time and resources to the problem, or tying up the time of any more members of staff than strictly necessary.
Modern access control systems come in a wide variety of types so that there are solutions available for pretty much any situation, giving you the level of access control appropriate to your business and your circumstances. So whether you’re trying to protect your business from product or data theft, protect your staff or monitor traffic in and out of your yard, one of the following should do the job.
What types of access control are there?
- Keypad – users need to enter a predetermined code to gain access
- Keyfob – when held close to the locking system, the fob automatically opens it to allow access
- Swipe card – a system used in many hotels, users swipe a card (similar in size to a credit card) through the locking system for access
- Video – an operator checks the identity and/or credentials of someone by using a security camera located at the entry point. In the case of monitoring vehicles, ANPR vehicle recognition cameras can be used
Where can access control systems be installed?
Access control systems can be installed at any entry or exit point on your premises, including:
- The gates at the perimeter of your business premises
- Entrances to car parks
- External doors that lead from the outside into your building
- Internal doors separating different parts of your building. Areas that you might want to protect could include data centres and rooms used for the storage of high value products and materials
What are the benefits of an access control system?
- Greater security for your business – preventing unauthorised access and reducing the risk of theft and vandalism
- Faster to manage a security issue – if someone intending harm gets hold of a traditional key to a door at your premises, you have to get a new lock fitted as well as providing new keys for all that need them. Modern access control systems can be amended quickly to deal with such a security threat by reprogramming a keypad code or electronically amending access levels on fobs and swipe cards
- Saving time and money – access control previously involved employing staff to check the credentials of each and every person passing through each and every key entry and/or exit point. As well as saving on wages, electronic access control operates immediately for users and with less potential for bottlenecking
- Complete control – if you want certain staff to have access to only some parts of your premises, that can be as easy to arrange as an ‘access all areas’ approach
- Evidence when required – because most access control systems keep a log of who is using which entrance point when, if you do have an issue, you can determine who was in that part of the building at the time it happened
- Safe environment for your staff – not only will your business be better protected, but it will also make for an environment where your staff can feel safer too
Which system is right for your business?
There are a number of factors to be taken into consideration when deciding on the right access control system for your business premises. We have recently looked at the relative merits of rule-based and role-based systems, which allow for greater flexibility or day-to-day management depending on which you choose. We offer free site surveys that give you the opportunity to discuss your preferences and requirements in detail to help you come up with the right solution for you and your business.
Scutum London is a leading provider of commercial security and surveillance systems across London, Surrey and much of the South East of England. As well as supplying a wide range of access control systems, we also offer installation and maintenance services, giving you the peace of mind that you have a professional security expert watching your back at all times.
Get in touch with our experienced team today to find out more, or to arrange a free site survey and assessment of your business security needs.
Request a Callback
Just fill in your details below and we'll get back to you as soon as we can!
About Scutum London
Scutum London is a leading expert in fire safety and security solutions for businesses and organisations located across South East England, including London and Surrey.
From fire alarms, fire extinguishers and fire risk assessments to access control, CCTV and intruder alarm systems – and a lot more besides – we offer a comprehensive range of products and services designed to keep you, your business and your staff and visitors safe.
With decades of industry experience to call on, we’re proud to hold accreditations from leading trade associations and bodies such as British Approvals for Fire Equipment (BAFE), the British Fire Consortium, the Fire Industry Association (FIA) and Security Systems and Alarms Inspection Board (SSAIB).
If you’d like to find out more about Scutum London, get in touch with our friendly team or explore our products and services on our site.