How to Dispose of a Fire Extinguisher
Because fire extinguishers are classed as hazardous waste, you cannot simply throw them in the household waste for recycling. To help you safely and legally dispose of your fire extinguisher, we’ve drawn up the steps you need to take.
Steps for disposing of a fire extinguisher
- Step 1 – Determine the fire extinguisher type by the rating on the body
- Step 2 – Has it been used? Some fire extinguishers won’t last when partially used, while for others you might be able to recharge them
- Step 3 – If you extinguisher is damaged, or you’re unsure of the chemicals involved, have it collected by a licensed disposal company
- Step 4 – Release any remaining pressure in undamaged units into a sealed drain
- Step 5 – Leave the extinguisher to stand for a few days, ensuring it has lost all of its pressure
- Step 6 – Take the fire extinguisher to your local recycling centre or have it collected
Halon Extinguisher Disposal
Halon fire extinguishers have been banned since 2003. If you have one of these, you must take it to a recycling facility immediately.
Professional fire extinguisher disposal
To discuss the disposal or recharging of your fire extinguishers – whether they’re damaged or intact – simply contact Scutum London today. Our specialists can come directly to your premises to remove your old extinguishers and dispose of them legally.
Request a Callback
Just fill in your details below and we'll get back to you as soon as we can!
About Scutum London
Scutum London is a leading expert in fire safety and security solutions for businesses and organisations located across South East England, including London and Surrey.
From fire alarms, fire extinguishers and fire risk assessments to access control, CCTV and intruder alarm systems – and a lot more besides – we offer a comprehensive range of products and services designed to keep you, your business and your staff and visitors safe.
With decades of industry experience to call on, we’re proud to hold accreditations from leading trade associations and bodies such as British Approvals for Fire Equipment (BAFE), the British Fire Consortium, the Fire Industry Association (FIA) and Security Systems and Alarms Inspection Board (SSAIB).
If you’d like to find out more about Scutum London, get in touch with our friendly team or explore our products and services on our site.